Two Months before your move
- Start to clean out things you won't bring. Plan a yard sale to sell it. It's not free to ship, so if you don't need it, get rid of it!
- Start shopping around for a mover Decide if you want to pack yourself or have professions pack for you (often wise if you want to guarantee that insurance will cover breakage). Generally, two months is plenty of time though if you planning on moving in the summer months, you might want to start looking 10 weeks in advance to be safe.
- Insurance. While shopping for a mover, check out insurance and call your homeowner's insurance agent to see if you are already covered.
- Start talking to young children about the impending move. Moves to new locations can be traumatic for young children. Preparing them in advance gives the child plenty of time to prepare for the move.
One Month before your move
- Start Packing. As early as one month before, you can buy boxes and packing supplies. Pack rarely used china or off-season clothes. When packing, keep in mind that it's most important to fill boxes to capacity. Under-filled boxes can get crushed and over-filled boxes may fall apart. Pick the right size box for the job--boxes should be between 25-35 lbs each.
- Save all your bills. Remember to save your last bills--they have crucial information like account numbers and customer service telephone numbers that will help you change your accounts, credit cards, magazine subscription, etc.
- Change your Magazine Subscriptions to your new address . In the last few hectic weeks, you probably won't have time to read them anyway!
- Get a copy of medical records. Get a copy of your medical records and transfer them to a new physician in your new location.
Two Weeks before your move
- Cancel your local newspaper. Or change the address if you get a major national paper delivered to your house.
- Notify all financial accounts of your move. Banks, credit cards, and brokerages all need to know your new address. Make a list and call/write them all!
Three Days Before your move
- Disconnect major appliances . Refrigerator, washer and dryer, etc. should all be disconnected, defrosted, and dried out.
- Finish packing!
- Valuables. There are a small number of things that you'll probably want to carry with you or in a personal suitcase. Passport, jewelry, cash, house deeds and other important documents should be set aside and stored in a safe place.
- First Night. For each member of your household, you'll want to pack a few nights' worth of clothes, bedding, toiletries, etc. And dishware for meals. Remember that it will take you some time to UNPACK on the other end!
- Enjoy! Since you've prepared so well, just relax while the movers load your well-packed boxes onto the truck!
Day After Moving Day
….Let the Unpacking begin!!